Time To Complete
I Can Statements
- I can:
- Make connections that help me figure out what a text is about when the material is not familiar to me
- Explain to someone else how to make text-to-world connections
- I will know my text-to-world connections are of high quality when they:
- Help me figure out what a text is about
Suggestions for Assessing Student Readiness to Move Forward:
- Confer with students, asking them to share their text-to-world connections and explain how the connections deepened their understanding of the text.
- Ask students to self-evaluate their work after completing one of the activities below.
Model reading a text aloud, while displaying it to the students. As you read, stop occasionally to think aloud about connections you are noticing between the text and your world knowledge. Try to primarily make connections that the students will recognize and relate to. Be very explicit about identifying the exact words that make you think of the connection (“When I read ____ this makes me think about ____ because ____.”). Be relatively brief so as not to disrupt the flow of the story too much. Deliberately model a wide range of text-to-world connections.
Students should practice making text-to-world connections in groups and individually by reading texts and stopping periodically to make connections to the world:
- In groups, have students read a short text together, and take turns identifying text-to-world connections, which they can record on Post-its or on chart paper. They should present their findings to the larger class.
- Have students read a text individually, and record text-to-world connections in two-column notes.
- They should continue various forms of practice until they are adept at making text-to-world connections.
After several days of practice and once they have achieved mastery, students should write a reflective summary of their chosen text, including: a summary, a discussion of theme, questions, and all three types of connections. This reflective summary should be included in their portfolio.