Time To Complete
I Can Statements
- I can:
- Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience (6-8.WHST.4)
- With some guidance and support from peers and adults, develop and strengthen writing as needed by planning, rewriting, or trying a new approach, focusing on how well purpose and audience have been addressed (6-8.WHST.5)
- I will know my draft is of high quality when it:
- Approaches the requirements for the assignment in terms of content, format, and length
- It considers the needs of purpose and audience
- Is clear and coherent (a complete draft)
- Provides a logical progression of ideas
Offer students a chance to look at exemplars, this time with the purpose of identifying structure, transition words, thesis, or position construction and the conclusion. Students may code the text to highlight these sections, use a rubric to give feedback on the papers, or design an outline checklist for their draft.
Model the outlining and drafting process through think-alouds on how you organize your notes, then begin to draft. Try multiple leads or organizations and ask the students to evaluate which they find the most effective and why.
Set up writing centers with specific supports or lessons based on student need (transition words or citations). Allow students to work in different writing partnerships or peer edits.
Resources for the Writing Process
DBQ Essay Step By Step
Instructional Support Modules: Improving Students’ Writing: