Time To Complete
I Can Statements
- I can conduct research by:
- gathering relevant information from multiple print and digital sources, using search terms effectively. (6-8.WHST.8)
- assessing the credibility and accuracy of each source. (6-8.WHST.8)
- I will know my research is of high quality if it:
- provides me the opportunity to learn more about my topic
- challenges me to deepen my thinking about my topic by asking questions for clarity and understanding
- comes from multiple relevant, current, reliable, and varied sources, while favoring primary sources over secondary sources
- has been systematically recorded and organized to support the proper citation of sources
Suggestions for Assessing Student Readiness to Move Forward:
- Confer with students, asking probing questions about their research process to gauge how well their research meets the quality criteria.
- Ask students to list their sources and explain (orally or in writing) how they meet the quality criteria for a high quality research.
- Ask students to show you their notes and briefly describe (orally or in writing) their system for recording and organizing the results of their research.
- Ask students to self-evaluate their work after completing one of the activities below.
Once students have chosen an issue to debate, have them complete the first columns of a KWHLAQ chart (http://www.flickr.com/photos/langwitches/5958295132/). If you have a set of class research resources, have them preview the books on their topic to frontload as a scaffold.
Model for students how to take notes and record data. You can offer students several graphic organizers for note-taking and data collection, or teach them one strategy, such as Cornell. There are some middle school level resources that can easily be modified for upper- or lower-grade students. See http://infotech.spsd.org/MS/ms_research_step4.html.
Have students record arguments they encounter in their research on both sides of the issue. This can be done in a pros-and-cons chart or using other graphic organizers for support.